Re: [opensuse] Email Server
On 26/06/16 18:00, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-06-26 18:37, Paul Groves wrote:

I think I am making progress but I still have no idea haha. There are
not many tutorials for first time users as far as I can see. I would be
grateful if someone could 'show me the ropes' as it were with linux
email servers. I have only ever used ms exchange before an that was a
breeze to set up with lots of documentation.

so far:

I have installed postfix and postifx admin. I have followed the guide here
http://www.linuxmail.info/multiple-domains-postfix-admin-centos-5/

and set up postfix. (not dovecot yet)

How can I test postfix?

I am also a bit confused, I have added my email addresses in postfix
admin. Do I also have to make local users with the same name and password?
I do not know what is "postfix admin". And no, you do not define users
with postfix anywhere.

After installing postfix (which is already done on an openSUSE system by
default), without doing anything else, you can test that it works by
sending email from one local user to another local user. That's it.

Sending email to outside, or receiving it, depends on whether you have a
fixed Internet IP, and a proper domain. If you don't, it is others who
have to send and receive emails on your behalf (say, gmail). Your role
is simply to hand your email to them, and picking the answers.

Really sending email yourself is difficult because of antispam
protections by others.

postfixadmin is a web gui fro postfix that as far as I can tell saves all the mailboxes to sql? not sure.

It has facilities for configuring virtual mail domains users and aliases

I am very much new to the world of mail servers outside ms exchange so I am not completely sure how it all works.