Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Be sure not to get one that requires no power source to function, unless you
can find one with an overwhelming number of favorable reviews. Passive HDMI
switching is evil.

I'm waiting to hear Mikhail's experience.

This will be delayed. While testing a DVI-HDMI cable that arrived from
an ebay seller, I found that one of the sources has DVI and
DIsplayPort, not HDMI as I thought.

I do not want a third display connection type in my system so I just
ordered another DVI-HDMI cable from that same seller. And when that
cable is in and the switch itself is in, I will report on my
experiences with "the cheapest KVM possible".

(I am really trying to avoid spending here.I also ordered a 1 Euro USB
Hub from China - so I can put the keyboard and mouse into it and
switch them by manual plugging. All because a proper KVM that would
handle DVI and USB seems to be about 25 Euro, and needs all the cables
anyway. HDMI switches I see, even manual ones, don't seem to have
USB).

Mikhail,

Have you had any luck with a HDMI switch? I've got my new PC put
together. I don't have openSUSE on it yet, but it boots.

I'm out of town for the weekend, but hope to test things out early
next week. Already a pain to physically change out the HDMI cables to
the monitor.

Greg

--
Greg Freemyer