[opensuse] Re: Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 21:48, Felix Miata <mrmazda@...> wrote:
Mikhail Ramendik composed on 2016-06-10 20:07 (UTC+0100):
Felix Miata wrote:

> > You also get a compact display and keyboard.
> Both are handicaps that make them little better than useless to some > people,
> e.g. touch typists, and people who value their limited eyesight.

Well, I don't see the problem if the laptop has a digital monitor
output (HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort). You can connect your own stuff and just
ignore the laptop's. Better yet some have docking stations.

Great, two keyboards per PC to catch coffee spills and hairballs. :-p

Last I remember, none of the DEs had a decent solution to problems caused by typical pixel density differences between laptop screens and external displays. It's a can of worms better avoided, especially by those with less than outstanding vision.

And, when did longevity of laptops quit being less than half that of desktops? A (modular) PC can usually be fixed, and quickly, with generic parts, when something breaks.

+1 (on the longevity and fixing of troubles)

*IF* you want to use laptop HW, please inform your self about the sort of
"Intel NUC", "Gigabyte BRIX", or similar. Much easier to get into than a
real laptop, and still below 65W max in most versions, idle below 15W by
most.

- Yamaban.