Re: [opensuse] video drivers & technology (was: Building a mid-range desktop PC...)
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 16:57:34 +0100
On 10 June 2016 at 03:53, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

...I'm using modeset for all my installations
that qualify with new enough server and new enough gfxchip, with no gfx
performance issues that I've as yet become aware of.

But this means one lives without DRI/3D at all?

I know nothing of the significance of DRI vs. no DRI. I see glimpses of it
in package names and logs, but about it and mesa and glx and glamor and yada
I don't think I have any need to know what does what or how or why.

Of 3D, my eyes gather but two dimensions from a computer display panel, and
see computer "3D" as but a way to annoy and make a PC generate more heat. If
a gfxchip can output a high definition video in believable colors without
stutter or drops, it's as good as I can appreciate. :-)

3D is basically shorthand for "OpenGL" and there are some games that
use it (even Supertux can) as well as some UIs like, I think, Compiz.
But you don't have to have it, of course.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik