Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
On 10 June 2016 at 09:14, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It is going to be low-end server that can be counted on to be on
24-hours a day.

Then the power supply should be "higher" end. And fans, and hard disks...

I think we agree on power supply and CPU fan, at least :)

He wants it to be quiet, so I would avoid additional fans. And setting
up a RAID, while increasing reliability, also increases the heat
inside, necessitating additional fans. Unless one does an SSD RAID, I
guess?

One trick to get a lower price is /not/ to use the most recent CPU
family, and then not the faster CPU of the family. Can compensate
getting more RAM instead.

Generally, yes. But he wants DDR4 RAM, so it can be interchangeable
with the other machines. This requires Skylake as previous families do
not support DDR4 RAM.

I would go for the basic Core i3 model in Skylake:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80662I36100-i3-6100-Cache-Processor/dp/B015VPX2EO
saving about $60 compared to the i5, but this is Greg's choice.

Another consideration in the final cost is the electricity bill.

That's true, and might be an argument for the Core i3 6100, which has
a TDP of 51W. Core i5 6400 has a TDP of 65W.

And this TDP difference also means that, given the same CPU fan, the
i3 will result in a quieter system.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik