Re: [opensuse] apache 2.4 performance issue / processwire.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 23:41:08 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 06/09/2016 04:19 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
Why do I know Perl and not PHP? It's not a coincidence.

LOL!

+ LOTS!

I've been using Perl for over 25 years, done some amazing stuff with it.
I've looked at PHP a couple of times, bought a book about it years ago;
opened it, read the first chapter and decided that this was not for me.

Like this:
<quote
src="https://blog.nexcess.net/2010/03/31/php-open_basedir-and-magento-performance/";>
There are negative side effects in relation to system performance when
using open_basedir. The most significant is that when open_basedir is
enabled, the PHP realpath cache will be disabled. The PHP realpath cache
has been available in PHP since 5.1.0 and caches the paths of PHP
include files.

Anton, despite the current topic, that has got nothing to do with the
language as such, it's an environmental setting for securing shared
environments in Apache.

If running a smaller site with a low file count and with relatively
shallow directory paths, the fact that directory paths will not be
cached isn’t necessarily essential.
But with applications such as Magento built on the Zend Framework, you end
up with both a large base file count with a large include path and a very
deep directory structure.

To my knowledge, we have a two hosted Magento customers, both on their own
servers.

You don't get nonsense like that with Perl.

There is no doubt a reason why the most popular web-based tools are written
in PHP (owncloud, wordpress, roundcube, joomla, moodle and many more). I
don't recall in the last ten years having had reason to install a web-based
perl application, where as I have installed PHP, Ruby-on-Rails and even obj-
C apps.

It's always about the right tool for the right job, but you also have to
have the people to wield it.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.3°C)