Re: [opensuse] apache 2.4 performance issue / processwire.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 11:48:54 +0200
Dave Howorth wrote:

I agree with the things that you say but as I understand Per's
situation, they don't fit his symptoms.

His problem on the production system apparently occurs with a single
user making a single request - the first request. So the problem isn't
load-related or complex-query-related.

Precisely. It is also reproducable on subsequent requests, although
they seem to process slightly faster.

Per, various suggestions:

I do think you need a test system (the customer should pay really).

Yes and yes. Assuming I can come up with the proof needed, I will be
sending the customer a bill for my time. Well, some of it :-(

I think asking a question on the processwire forum might well be
useful.

Yep. I did in fact register for the forum yesterday, but have yet to
receive the confirmation.

I think it would be useful to understand the difference between the
developer's system and the production/test system. Can you or he run
exactly the same strace test on his machine and get the same
behaviour? If not, what is different?

I expect he's been working on Windows or Mac, but I think it ought to be
enough to copy the website to some similar hardware and then compare
numbers.

I'm not a PHP programmer and knew nothing about processwire (though I
do know Perl). There seems to be a debugger for PHP called xdebug, and
it seems to be possible to run processwire from the command-line,
which makes using a debugger much easier. So if it was me, I would try
to run the same request that you used for the strace from the command
line with the debugger and single step it to find out where the
lstat's are happening.

Interesting idea about running processwire on the command line, thanks.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.8°C)