Re: [opensuse] Re: dhcpv6-pd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 13:39:30 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Most people, with our current Ipv4 connections, get a new IP the
instant there is a glitch in the connection. Be it the wind moving
the copper cables or the router being unplugged.

That is not the way DHCP is supposed to work. You're supposed to
have a
lease time, during which you "own" the address. As long as you renew
before the lease expires, you should retain the same address.

I know, but ISPs perverted that on most places. Yours is highly
unusual.

I'm not so totally sure about that - Bluewin, the provider of the
incumbent Swiss telco does the same. What's unusual is that James's
connection has a fixed hostname, specific to his hardware.

Very funny when on police movies they find the IP of the bad guy and
correlate to a house on seconds. Ha!

You mean that's not how it works?? :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.1°C)