Re: [opensuse] Re: dhcpv6-pd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 13:18:15 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 06/07/2016 03:37 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Op 03-06-16 om 13:49 schreef Per Jessen:

I meant running one's own ipv6 router is not mainstream, not whether
PD
is used by the provider. I'm sure the latter is already mainstream.

Was busy trying with pfSense ;-).

Maybe the setup is not mainstream, but what's the point of getting a
/56 prefix when you can't use all of the subnets ?
At the moment I don't really need all the subnets, but how I'm going
to use ipv6 on my internal network when at any moment my addresses
can change ? Of course I could just use the network right behind the
dsl-modem/router but I prefer having a linux firewall between my
internal network and the wild wide web.

You can split that /56 into multiple /64s with openSUSE as a router.
Also, why do you think your addresses will change? Dhcpv6-pd uses
something called DUID which ties your prefix to the hardware, so it
shouldn't change.

If it doesn't change why are we even bothering with this whole
discussion? Just configure your IPv6 prefix it statically and you're
done.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.9°C)