Re: [opensuse] Re: dhcpv6-pd
On 06/07/2016 03:37 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Op 03-06-16 om 13:49 schreef Per Jessen:

I meant running one's own ipv6 router is not mainstream, not whether PD
is used by the provider. I'm sure the latter is already mainstream.

Was busy trying with pfSense ;-).

Maybe the setup is not mainstream, but what's the point of getting a
/56 prefix when you can't use all of the subnets ?
At the moment I don't really need all the subnets, but how I'm going
to use ipv6 on my internal network when at any moment my addresses can
change ? Of course I could just use the network right behind the
dsl-modem/router but I prefer having a linux firewall between my
internal network and the wild wide web.

You can split that /56 into multiple /64s with openSUSE as a router.
Also, why do you think your addresses will change? Dhcpv6-pd uses
something called DUID which ties your prefix to the hardware, so it
shouldn't change.

An extra problem is my dsl-modem/router. Its firewall is too limited.
Standard all inboud traffic is blocked which is OK. You can allow
traffic through for a host (all or individual ports). But you can only
specify the host-part of the ipv6-address. That means hosts on a
different subnet are not reachable. But that's not on topic here.

The firewall/modem my ISP provides is also very limiting. That's why I
put it in bridge mode and created my own router/firewall. I tried to
use openSUSE, but wound up going with pfsense.