Re: [opensuse] wicd instead of network manager enabled after install, wifi not working
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 09:13:07 +0300
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 6:53 AM, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I have a desktop computer which has a PCI Wi Fi card. Internet is only
available via Wi Fi.

When I installed OnepSuSe

You managed to make four mistakes in distribution name. That's a bit
too much for an accident.

LEAP, it started up and Wi Fi was not
working. I went into YaST and found that "Wicked services" was set as
the network setup manager, but I found no way to start wicd. So I was
stuck without it.

wicd has nothing to do with wicked - they are two separate pieces of
software. wicd was never configurable via YaST; you need to do this
manually. wicked should be started automatically; how do you know it
was *not* started? How did you check it?

When I (with some prompting from IRC) switched the setting to Network
manager, YaST wanted to install a package and the Internet was not
there. Thankfully I got around this by getting an open wifi network up
temporarily and connecting to it using iwconfig.

Now everything works and there is a nice Network Manager widget in the
KDE system tray. But why was wicd the initial setting and where was
its UI?

Usually installer defaults to Network Manager on notebooks (as long as
it can guess it is notebook) and to wicked (or ifup in the past) on
desktops on the premises that desktop needs just one static
connection. It is hard to tell why wicked did not work in your case;
did you configure it during (or after) installation at all?

Wicked does not have desktop UI as far as I know. It is more server
oriented where you have fixed connection that is simply started when
system boots.