Re: [opensuse] wicd instead of network manager enabled after install, wifi not working
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2016 08:12:58 +0200
Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

Hello,

I have a desktop computer which has a PCI Wi Fi card. Internet is only
available via Wi Fi.

When I installed OnepSuSe LEAP, it started up and Wi Fi was not
working. I went into YaST and found that "Wicked services" was set as
the network setup manager, but I found no way to start wicd. So I was
stuck without it.

wicked is started automatically.

When I (with some prompting from IRC) switched the setting to Network
manager, YaST wanted to install a package and the Internet was not
there. Thankfully I got around this by getting an open wifi network up
temporarily and connecting to it using iwconfig.

Now everything works and there is a nice Network Manager widget in the
KDE system tray. But why was wicd the initial setting and where was
its UI?

wicked's UI is 'vi' :-)

Why wicked was chosen by default, I'm not sure. I guess YaST has some
magic that determines when or when not to use Network Manager. I know
it is the default on laptops, but probably not on desktops.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.4°C)