Re: [opensuse] On Hubs and Horse Whips
On 06/05/2016 10:23 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I just had a look at my local shop, and they don't even sell ethernet
hubs. If someone sells today a hub for someone to install at home, I
consider that a swindle. Pure swindle.

Maybe there are hubs somewhere. Old stuff lying around, or sellers
trying to sell obsolete stuff. Of course many people would not know of
the difference. Or even notice. They would perhaps think that Internet
is slow but think that it is like that, nothing to be done.

You should not consider using a hub even on the humblest of setups,
unless you can not get something better.

I first saw consumer grade routers about 21 years ago, at a computer
show. This was so long ago that they were designed for dial up access,
not cable modem or DSL (neither of those were available at the time).
Even then, they had a switch and not a hub. I have never seen a
consumer router that used a hub and doubt there ever was one. This was
around the time that switches were replacing hubs in general. You could
still buy hubs then, and they were significantly cheaper than a switch.
These days, you can get a new switch for as little as $10