Re: [opensuse] On Hubs and Horse Whips
On 06/05/2016 10:23 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-06-05 16:06, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 06/04/2016 10:36 PM, James Knott wrote:
Most hubs run at 10 Mb, a few at 100 Mb and none at Gb. A hub will
severely throttle modern connections, which may interfere with what
you're trying to observer.

Once again, James, your missing the point of the CONTEXT Jeffrey was
stating.

Yes there are going to be contexts where what you say is true, and ones,
certainly ones that I have met and probably Jeffrey has met, where what
you say isn't true.

Its also possible that even with the slowing down the problem still
appears because it has nothing to do with the speed of the packets and
everything to do with something else about them.

Context is Everything.

I just had a look at my local shop, and they don't even sell ethernet
hubs. If someone sells today a hub for someone to install at home, I
consider that a swindle. Pure swindle.

Maybe there are hubs somewhere. Old stuff lying around, or sellers
trying to sell obsolete stuff. Of course many people would not know of
the difference. Or even notice. They would perhaps think that Internet
is slow but think that it is like that, nothing to be done.

You should not consider using a hub even on the humblest of setups,
unless you can not get something better.

In the context of home users or the context of check-box driven
'netadmin, yes.

But, sorry, there are still outlets selling them, clearly labelled as
HUBS. They are cheap. As Jeffrey pointed out they have uses, but not
the kind of use a home user or 'netadmin who consistently buys Cisco are
going to be engaged in, albeit for very different reasons :-)

A vendor selling a hub to someone, like a home user, who should be
buying a switch, just to cellar his old stock, is a swindle, yes.

A vendor selling a hub to someone who asking for a "hub, most
emphatically NOT a switch", for reasons such as Jeffrey outlines (or
possibly other uses) is not a swindler.

Context is Everything.

In the appropriate context, a horse (or mule or donkey) and horse whip
is a better solution than a Ferrari and accelerator pedal.

Context is Everything.