Re: [opensuse] Re: Do you think this can be done? I'm not sure
On 2016-06-05 05:04, James Knott wrote:
On 06/04/2016 10:49 PM, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

Many people run over 100 Mb Internet connections these days, not to
mentioned gigabit on the local LAN. Also, I just remembered another use
for my hub. It is, in fact, a 9 port hub, with the 9th port a BNC
connector on the rear panel. This means I could use that hub to connect
a 10base2 coax network to a switch. Problem is, 10base2 became obsolete
when 10baseT hubs appeared and are really scarce now.

I installed my first network somewhere around 1994, using coax cable, at
the place I was working. Actually, the administration side of the
building had RJ plugs and a hub with a coax socket in the back like
yours. I had no idea how to use hubs and had no crimper, so I built the
network for the two or three lab computers using coax cable. Which
turned to be a bonus, because we had huge electrical noise during
machine testing down there, and the coax network worked just fine.
Without internet, mind. Windows 3.11 and 95 I think.

Huge noise: 75 KW electric motor with full switched regulation. During
motor and brake testing. The lights in the building trembled (the
intensity of the light trembled). I tested transferring files just then
and worked.

Now I could have used shielded twisted pair, but at the time I barely
knew of its existence.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >