Re: [opensuse] Re: OFF-LIST Do you think this can be done? I'm not sure
On 06/04/2016 10:19 PM, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
A hub can act as a cheap tap to monitor network traffic. I used one with
Snort on the Internet facing side of a broadband router to see what the
firewall was keeping at bay. A switch can't do that.

Most hubs run at 10 Mb, a few at 100 Mb and none at Gb. A hub will
severely throttle modern connections, which may interfere with what
you're trying to observer. A managed switch, with port mirroring can
also be used to monitor traffic, without such a severe hit on performance.

A real tap is much more expensive.

A cheap managed switch is not.
This switch supports port mirroring:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1045_355&item_id=084911

It's a gigabit switch and you can configure it so that one port can
monitor the traffic of one or more other ports.
BTW, this costs about $20 less than what I paid for an 8 port, 10 Mb
hub, back in the late 90s.