Re: [opensuse] ipv6 and wicked
  • From: Herbert Graeber <hgraeber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 17:21:24 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 2. Juni 2016, 22:20:57 CEST schrieb Per Jessen:
Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Op 02-06-16 om 21:13 schreef Per Jessen:
My recommendation is to go with pfsense, at least until the openSUSE
developers quit putting eye candy ahead of function.

Just to learn about it, I might well do that.

James, be a little reasonable - the guys writing e.g. wicked and the
network support have little need for eye candy. Most of the people out
there on IPv6 probably have a router supplied by the provider whichyo
happily takes of it. Needing/wanting to build your own IPv6 router
with this support is a bit of a cornercase, I would say. Might also be
difficult to find a suitable test environment.

My dsl-modem gets a /56 prefix. Afther that I put another box, namely
the suse-box. After that I have an internal network. In that situation
you have to use PD when the ISP does not hand out static prefixes. IMHO
not a cornercase.

I can only judge by the current, apparently very minor demand for such
setups. Here we have sofar seen two people asking/needing this support, I
don't know about the openSUSE fora, but one would think the issue would have
appeared much earlier - if there was much of an issue.

I am looking for a solution for IPv6 PD, too. But I must admit I was scared by
thas monster mail thread over the last days, which was mostly off topic. Maybe
there are more openSUSE users who felt the same and skipped that thread.

Of course we should support IPv6 PD, but as you say below, we (openSUSE) are
not exactly behind in this aspect. I guess you and James have both
volunteered to test when the supporting code becomes available.

When there is something to test, I will have a look, too.

Herbert