Re: [opensuse] Graphics for Server
  • From: Paul Groves <paul.groves.787@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 22:12:45 +0100
On 01/06/16 15:06, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-06-01 15:58, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-06-01 13:51, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

It works wonders for playing HDTV streams from mythtv. On a somewhat
modern Intel CPU. Without it, HDTV is generally impossible. YMMV.
More modern CPUs might be better, dunno. A lot of HPC is done on
GPUs these days, so they're good for something.
Ok, but ffmpeg does not use any of it for conversion, only for
display. It does not affect the OP case.
I don't think you can conclude that. ffmpeg doesn't _display_ anything,
it converts. Anyway, I can't test it, maybe the OP can tell us.
The manual page excerpt I posted does not agree:

Note that most acceleration methods are
intended for playback and will not be
faster than software decoding on modern
CPUs. Additionally, ffmpeg will usually
need to copy the decoded frames from the
GPU memory into the system memory,
resulting in further performance loss. This
option is thus mainly useful for testing.
It says "playback". Maybe that does not mean "display".
I understand it can be used to decode the input stream, but then has to
be read from video memory to normal memory before it is used to recode
on the output stream, so it is slower.

OK, my conversions on my desktop finished and I managed to get time to test this out.

I put my 760 into the server and fired it back up. I converted a one hour video 1080p and it only took 14 mins from mp4 to mkv. (ffmpeg -i input.mp4 output.mkv)

I then shutdown, out the 760 back in my desktop PC and booted the server back up and proceeded to repeat the same conversion using the 3470ks on-board graphics.

I started that at half 7 and it is now 10 minutes past 10 and it is only 41% done.

Conclusion: ffmpeg uses the hardware acceleration / encoding chips on my Nvidia 760.

I made no configuration changes at all in the process of testing.

Now back to my original post, does anyone know which card will work the best with ffmpeg? I want the best performance without losing quality and would not know where to start.

Any Nvidia wizards out there?