Re: [opensuse] ipv6 and wicked
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 21:13:57 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 06/02/2016 11:15 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Has anyone experience with ipv6 on Leap 42.1 ?
I'm trying to setup an ipv6 router. I installed Leap without a gui.
My external address is automatically configured. That's OK.
Trying with yast, I found after searching and trying you only can
assign a static ipv6 address by specifying it in the IP-address box.
You then can add an ipv4 address.

I did. After years of using openSUSE for my router, I gave up on it
and
switched to pfsense, which works well. The problem is that openSUSE
does not support dhcpv6-pd, which is required for getting the local
network prefix from the ISP. Wicked does not support dhcpv6-pd, so I
tried the latest dhcpcd, which does. Unfortunately, after a couple of
frustrating weeks, I had to give up on it.

My recommendation is to go with pfsense, at least until the openSUSE
developers quit putting eye candy ahead of function.

James, be a little reasonable - the guys writing e.g. wicked and the
network support have little need for eye candy. Most of the people out
there on IPv6 probably have a router supplied by the provider which
happily takes of it. Needing/wanting to build your own IPv6 router
with this support is a bit of a cornercase, I would say. Might also be
difficult to find a suitable test environment.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.0°C)