Re: [opensuse] Off-Topic: sending details (in)securely via email

Am 02.06.2016 um 11:44 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
On 2016-06-02 02:41, gumb wrote:
On 01/06/16 22:52, Aaron Digulla wrote:
First, find out if you're even allowed to make a color scan of your
passport. Some countries, Germany for example, treat passports and IDs
like money: Making a color copy of them is legally considered
counterfeiting. If the police finds out, they are obliged to come after
you (I'm not sure of the actual legal terms) and you'll face at least a
fine.

I never heard of that. But I'm not German.

The same can happen if the receiving part doesn't take care of this
sensitive data; for example when all hotel employees have access to a
room where passport photocopies are kept in an open tray. Many countries
demand that copies must be kept closed, destroyed as soon as possible.
In Germany, you can even black out parts of the copy which aren't
strictly necessary to identify you (like your religion and the like).

Well, Spain has a data protection agency, so maybe we have this part at
least. But I don't know what the actual regulations are.

B&W scans might be safe.

Not a bad idea. If one sends a B&W copy they can't easily forge the ID.

To transmit via email, put the image into an archive and encrypt the
archive with AES and use a good password. Tell the company the password
by phone.

How would one encrypt with AES? :-?

And it has to be doable both in Linux and Windows. Oh, and Macs. And
perhaps Android. The file has to be usable on all systems.

Diversionary tangent: When I first got hold of a multifunction printer,
I tested scanning and direct printing (using only the device not the
computer) a UK ten pound note, merely for my own curiosity and as a
first test of how well the unit performed. The result was remarkably
good for a 2003 model device. Had I used the right form of paper,
managed to pull off printing it double-sided and perfectly lined up, and
possibly fathomed out some kind of fake watermarking / metal insertion,
I could have made a small fortune (ten pounds, to be precise).

The strange thing about it was (and this only serves to strengthen my
occasional mind forays into semi-delusional beliefs that my every move
is being monitored), later that same day I nipped up to the local
mini-mart to buy something. The ten pound forgery rested at home on the
printer. I paid with a regular, real ten pound note and the young trendy
guy at the checkout, who I'd never encountered previously but who was in
a buoyant mood that afternoon, checked it against the light, then went
on a strange chuckling monologue about how modern domestic multifunction
printers were so good at creating believable forgeries, terminating his
patter with a question asking me if I'd ever tried it myself?

It's the only occasion anybody has ever entered into such a conversation
with me. One for my book of strange coincidences...

LOL.

You know the 500€ bill? Here in Spain they are called "bin ladens"
because every body knows they exist, but nobody has seen them.

Well, once I managed to handle one.

Of course I scanned it! X'-)

I don't expect to see another in my life. Inflation not allowing. I want
to remember how it was, having one in my hands.

But the EU has decided not to print anymore of those. They are very much
used for illegal transfers (specially in Spain!).

If bin's are used for illegal transfers in Spain they must be used mainly by the corrupt government, no? So there would be no reason to prohibit them, in contrary....

The reason is not "illegal transfers" but to suppress any cash transfer in the end for the sake of a) total control and b) more money for the nice friends who handle the electronic transfers (credit cards, banks...).

How those friends pay their facilitators to say thanks, when there are no more big cash bills is a mystery to me. Maybe with cocaine...

http://www.daniel-bauer.com
room in Barcelona: https://www.airbnb.es/rooms/2416137