Re: [opensuse] Graphics for Server
On 01/06/16 06:32, Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-06-01 00:09, Paul Groves wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on a graphics card for my server. One
function of the server is to convert media but it takes absolutely
ages (about 85 minds for a terribly LQ 20 min H.264 360p
video)!!!!!!!!!

The graphics card is not used at all when converting videos to
another format. Only when displaying that video.

A graphics card's GPUs might well be used during
encoding/decoding/conversion. For instance, ffmpeg is able to use
vaapi.

Paul, your systems are virtual identical. To test if it is an issue
with the graphics card, it might be worth swapping the graphics cards.
Also try "vainfo" to see if video hardware acceleration is in
use/available.

Uh, with Nvidia cards, it's called VDPAU instead of VAAPI, I don't know
if vainfo is aware or if there is a dedicated utility for vdpau.

I tried the onboard graphics and it is no better.

I cannot find vainfo the command isnt recognised and when i do zypper install vainfo I get 'vainfo' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.

I might not be able to swap gpus any time soom as my desktop is currently converting my backlog of videos. might be a while :/

I have however used an msi 720 insetead of the asus one I mentioned and it was identical performance so at least i know the cards are ok.