Re: [opensuse] Graphics for Server
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 07:32:02 +0200
Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-06-01 00:09, Paul Groves wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on a graphics card for my server. One
function of the server is to convert media but it takes absolutely
ages (about 85 minds for a terribly LQ 20 min H.264 360p
video)!!!!!!!!!

The graphics card is not used at all when converting videos to
another format. Only when displaying that video.

A graphics card's GPUs might well be used during
encoding/decoding/conversion. For instance, ffmpeg is able to use
vaapi.

Paul, your systems are virtual identical. To test if it is an issue
with the graphics card, it might be worth swapping the graphics cards.
Also try "vainfo" to see if video hardware acceleration is in
use/available.

Uh, with Nvidia cards, it's called VDPAU instead of VAAPI, I don't know
if vainfo is aware or if there is a dedicated utility for vdpau.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.9°C)