[opensuse] Graphics for Server
  • From: Paul Groves <paul.groves.787@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 23:09:49 +0100
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on a graphics card for my server. One function of the server is to convert media but it takes absolutely ages (about 85 minds for a terribly LQ 20 min H.264 360p video)!!!!!!!!!

Current graphics card (lspci):
root@server5:~ # lspci | grep NVIDIA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 720] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller (rev a1)

Now on my desktop pc I have no trouble with converting full 1080p videos in no time at all (about 15 mins for an hour and a half movie) Graphics card is (lspci):
paul@paul-pc:~$ lspci | grep NVIDIA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)

other specs:
Both PCs are using the NVIDIA official drivers (from the community repo).
Both are asus boards, the desktop being a B75 and the server a Z77
Desktop PC has 16GB RAM server 24GB ECC
both have an intel i5 3470k cpu
both have a mirror raid set up on SATA 3 using 1tb WD 7200 rpm drives using XFS
Both PCs on opensuse 42.1 (also no difference in performance on ubuntu 16.04 on my desktop).

Now could this be an issue with the setup or is the 720 just pants? Should I get another 760 or would anyone with more knowledge in this subject recommend a better card? The server has no screen and is command line only so need for other graphics capabilities other than converting video.

Thanks

Paul