Re: [opensuse] Off-Topic: sending details (in)securely via email
On 05/29/2016 01:05 PM, gumb wrote:
Just a quick gauge on people's thoughts on this.

My employer recently asked everybody for an updated ID document. For
most of their French employees this would be their identity card, but
me being British I don't have one, so it would have to be my passport.

They want me to send a scan of it to them via email. In the past I've
refrained from sending scans of such sensitive documents by an
inherently insecure system, so I've been holding off these last few
weeks.

Since I won't be passing by the office in person anytime soon, aside
from putting a photocopy in the post, what would you advise? I'm
certainly not going to delve into the complex, murky world of email
encryption just for them, and besides, I don't rate the ability of the
receptionist at the other end to fathom out anything more exotic than
an attached jpeg.

Any attempt to send by other means may be in vain since she may
forward it by email to head office.

Should I commence a lecture about safe communications practices or
just swallow and hope my identity doesn't get stolen?

gumb

What are the risk points? Do you have an account on their mail server
with SSL/TLS connections? If so, the email will be encrypted en route
and plain text only on the server.