Re: [opensuse] European HAMNET - use of 44/8.

Il 28. 05. 16 19:40, Per Jessen ha scritto:
James Knott wrote:

On 05/27/2016 02:14 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is really OT, but as I mentioned it here very briefly -
this is a very interesting presentation:

http://www.tapr.org/pdf/DCC2014-TheEuropeanHAMNET-DG8NGN.pdf

Makes me almost want to go active again, though I guess I would need
to convert to an HB callsign.

Amazing to think that there is an entire class A network in private
hands.
I went to a client site a few years ago. They were a manufacturer of
telco gear. Thousands of people at the location I went to.

When they first told me all their IPs were public, I tried to explain
NAT and that surely they were using public IPs for everything.

They corrected me. They had a class A as I recall. When they bought
a manufacturing plant from AT&T it came with a Class-A network.

Greg
Back when I was at IBM in the late 90s, I had 5 public addresses, 1
for
my own computer and 4 for testing. IBM had the entire 9.0.0.0/8 block
and my address was 9.29.146.147. When we started working with
Ethernet,
we used 8.0.0.0/8. I also had 5 SNA addresses.
SNA nodes or logical units, you mean :-) Yep, remnants of a misspent
youth in IBM mainframe land. PU4, PU5, LU6.2 - wow, it's been a long
time. VTAM .....

44.142.93.1, that's my ampr.og address... always connected using
OpenSUSE boxes (starting from version 5 I believe :-D )
And yes, PU0 (!), PU4, PU5, LU6.2, VTAM, Token Ring, IP over SNA, ....
the old god time ;-)
Years ago I have been also working to create some order in a big
company, owning a Class-A network at that time, that was internally
using all but not the appropriate IP-addresses...