Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 20:47:18 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-05-27 13:04, Anton Aylward wrote:

I've tried persuading many of my friends&relations to use VoIP but
to be honest, the only people who seem the least bit interested in
talking to me on the phone are my doctor/dentist calling to
confirm/remind appointments and headhunters who insist on phone
interviews, which I consider as lame and useless as email
interviews, after all so much of meaningful communication is face
to face, non-verbal..

If you (and I) had a real VoIP phone replacing the old POTS in your
home, you could do call screening. You could route those calls to a
machine asking questions before it decides to bother you with a ring
- or refusing. Just what they do to you when you call them.

I don't know what you problem is.
I can do all that.
And more.
Like re-routing by time of day, different ring tones (particularly
for people I know), "follow me", different voice messages for callers
I know (e.g telling family, g/f when I'll be home), telling marketeer
that this number has been disconnected so they will (hopefully)
remove it from their phone books), simultaneous ringing of the
various rooms I might be in, ...

And a lot more.

On POTS? I can't, without purchasing expensive equipment. And I don't
even know what equipment.

Anton probably has POTS phones connected, but it is his VoIP box that
does all that fancy stuff. My old mum has also gone VoIP, but she is
having trouble getting the provider to fix the caller-id function.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it kinda works.
They're starting a petition know.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.4°C)