Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 05/27/2016 03:08 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-05-26 21:40, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Actually, with NAT, you have to use an STUN server to communicate
the
real address to the other end. Otherwise, it would try to use the
NAT
address, which wouldn't be reachable. This is just one example of a
hack made necessary by NAT.

You make it out to be a big deal, James. We have had a STUN server
running alongside Asterisk for years. In my office, anyone who's
working from home has a VoIP telephone set (or uses a laptop client),
whatever internet connection they're on at home is of no concern,
they are reachable by VoIP.

But that STUN server is probably set on a fixed address, so that it
can be reached by the clients.
That's the problem, normal people can't set up that lacking that fixed
address. Yes, of course, there is dyndns and such, but...

Carlos, you're loosing me - what does a normal person need a STUN server
for? Unless that normal person wants to provide VoIP services, he or
she has no need. A STUN server has one single reason for being - to
enable clients on a NAT'ed network to be reached from the outside.

And, as is the case for most home consumers, it's not even that, as its
not about PTP; they are just using it as a POTS replacement.