Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 05/27/2016 03:05 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
If they're behind NAT, they need some means to tell the other end what
their real address is. STUN does that. It also wouldn't be necessary
if NAT wasn't in the way.
Yep, like I said you make it out to be a big deal. The STUN server took
about 5mins to set up and it runs and runs and runs. The telephone is
configured to enable STUN when it's provisioned. NAT is a fact of
life, likely will be for quite some time to come. When everyone has
public addresses, we can stop the STUN server, woohoo.

The deal is it's still a hack to get around problems caused by NAT. Of
course, NAT is a hack to get around the address shortage, so STUN is a
hack on top of a hack.