Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 12:40:57 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-05-27 09:08, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

But that STUN server is probably set on a fixed address, so that it
can be reached by the clients.
That's the problem, normal people can't set up that lacking that
fixed address. Yes, of course, there is dyndns and such, but...

Carlos, you're loosing me - what does a normal person need a STUN
server for? Unless that normal person wants to provide VoIP
services, he or
she has no need. A STUN server has one single reason for being - to
enable clients on a NAT'ed network to be reached from the outside.

Two meanings. One, that a normal client has to use a STUN server that
somebody else creates,

Right. It's one of the options.

and that a person that tries to setup asterisk
will probably also have to setup a STUN.

Depends on what that person wants to do. If he wants to establish calls
_to_ SIP-clients behind NAT routers, something is required to keep the
client-side NAT table up-to-date. STUN, keep-alive, Andrei mentioned
SIP NAT traversal (I have no experience with the latter).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.9°C)