Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 09:05:45 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 05/26/2016 03:40 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

On 05/26/2016 09:35 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/26/2016 09:20 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a
fixed address, non private, because you do want to do things
needing being accessible.
That is not the case from the end user's POV.
I have a NAT and Vop "router" behind it.
Whether I was using a NAT or not the ATA box needs to have the
address of the ISP. How the ISP implement things, load balancing
or otherwise, is their decision. My setup is going to be the same,
NAT or not, IPv4 or IPv6.
Actually, with NAT, you have to use an STUN server to communicate
the real address to the other end. Otherwise, it would try to use
the NAT address, which wouldn't be reachable. This is just one
example of a hack made necessary by NAT.

You make it out to be a big deal, James. We have had a STUN server
running alongside Asterisk for years. In my office, anyone who's
working from home has a VoIP telephone set (or uses a laptop client),
whatever internet connection they're on at home is of no concern,
they are reachable by VoIP.

If they're behind NAT, they need some means to tell the other end what
their real address is. STUN does that. It also wouldn't be necessary
if NAT wasn't in the way.

Yep, like I said you make it out to be a big deal. The STUN server took
about 5mins to set up and it runs and runs and runs. The telephone is
configured to enable STUN when it's provisioned. NAT is a fact of
life, likely will be for quite some time to come. When everyone has
public addresses, we can stop the STUN server, woohoo.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.4°C)