Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 08:54:13 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 2016-05-26 15:35, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/26/2016 09:20 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a
fixed address, non private, because you do want to do things
needing being accessible.

That is not the case from the end user's POV.
I have a NAT and Vop "router" behind it.
Whether I was using a NAT or not the ATA box needs to have the
address
of the ISP. How the ISP implement things, load balancing or
otherwise,
is their decision. My setup is going to be the same, NAT or not,
IPv4 or IPv6.

You need a special router that is VoIp aware, and/or you need to
connect to a STUN server, which helps traverse the NAT router.

This is NOT the case.

I'm not saying that people don't configure it that way, but it isn't
how my provider works. I had to quite explicitly turn STUN OFF on my
LinkSys ATA to get it to work.

STUN is needed for inbound calls. Many phones have a keep-alive option
instead, but it boils down to the same thing.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.2°C)