Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 05/26/2016 05:22 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/26/2016 10:37 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Only if you want to run a server will you need fixed addresses, just
like now.
Err no.
In the days before my current cable provider clamped down on it, I ran a
web server from home, even though the cable service provided a dynamic
address.

I registered a domain name and made use of the (then free) service that
DynDNS (then) had. I had a small script, that DynDNS supplied, that
looked to see what my DHCP address from the cable company was and if it
changed sent a message to DynDNS updating its mapping for my domain entry.

That way remote sites could access my web service.

All this talk about IP address is a crock!
Real people deal in domain names.

I'm sure that there are similar services around even now.
I only discontinued this when my cable provider changed policy so that
only commercial customers could run servers. IIR DynDNS later suspended
their free service.

Perhaps I should change cable provider ....

My IPv4 address is via DHCP. However, it changes so seldom, it's
virtually static. My host name is static, based on my cable modem and
firewall MAC addresses. I have an alias set up on a DNS server that
maps my own domain name to that host name.