Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 05/26/2016 10:37 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Only if you want to run a server will you need fixed addresses, just
like now.

Err no.
In the days before my current cable provider clamped down on it, I ran a
web server from home, even though the cable service provided a dynamic
address.

I registered a domain name and made use of the (then free) service that
DynDNS (then) had. I had a small script, that DynDNS supplied, that
looked to see what my DHCP address from the cable company was and if it
changed sent a message to DynDNS updating its mapping for my domain entry.

That way remote sites could access my web service.

All this talk about IP address is a crock!
Real people deal in domain names.

I'm sure that there are similar services around even now.
I only discontinued this when my cable provider changed policy so that
only commercial customers could run servers. IIR DynDNS later suspended
their free service.

Perhaps I should change cable provider ....