Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 21:29:10 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

As for finding addresses in mails, they
are typically random. By default in openSUSE. See "IPv6 privacy
extensions".

But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a
fixed address, non private, because you do want to do things needing
being accessible.

No, you don't need a fixed address for a VoIP client. With ISDN
being phased out by the end of next year, Swisscom will be switching
everyone to VoIP. None of those will need a fixed IP, v4 or v6.
Deutsche Telekom will be doing the same by the end of 2018.

Well, I have that. Silently.

When I switched to fibre, I was switched to VoIp, but I wasn't told. I
simply get a "thing" with a phone connector, to which is connected the
house phone wiring, unchanged.

Yes, I expect that will be the case for most people. Whether the telco
uses copper, fibre or carrier pigeons should be transparent to the
consumer. An ISDN customer has an NTBA ("terminator box") installed,
typically a grey box on the wall somewhere. It interfaces the
telephone wires with the S0 bus. I expect Swisscom and Deutsche Telecom
will simply replace that with another one, essentially an ADSL modem
which interfaces the telephones wires with Ethernet.

Only if you want to run a server will you need fixed addresses, just
like now.

You need an intermediary where you register on each IP change so that
others can phone you.

Yes, that's called a "VoIP provider". They also provide the
interconnect to the POTS etc.

You get both type of addresses for a computer? How know applications
which one to use?

/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/use_tempaddr

0 = privacy extensions disabled.
1 = privacy extensions enabled, but not preferred.
2 = privacy extensions enabled, preferred.

It is zero here.
I see...

The default on openSUSE is 2, a sound choice for a client. I wonder how
you got a 0.

A network interface will have

a) link local address - fe80:<mac-addr based>
b) a temporary address (assuming tempaddr!=0) = 2001:db8::random
c) an address handed out by dhcp = your:pref::pooladdr
d) a fixed address based on mac-addr = your:pref::macaddr-based.

I have a mac based address (don't know if 'a' or 'd'... correction, I
know, it is 'a') and a fixed address I created, local if I remember
correctly:

inet6 addr: fe80::221:85ff:fe16:2d0b/64 Scope:Link
inet6 addr: fc00::14/64 Scope:Global

Type 'b', it is always "2001:db8..."?

"2001:db8::" is like "example.com", it's for documentation only. In
real life, it will be one a prefix allocated by your provider.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.4°C)