Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 2016-05-26 19:23, James Knott wrote:
On 05/26/2016 09:20 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
As for finding addresses in mails, they
are typically random. By default in openSUSE. See "IPv6 privacy
extensions".
But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a fixed
address, non private, because you do want to do things needing being
accessible.
Many services, such as VoIP, are designed to use a server only for call
setup and then the end devices switch to peer to peer mode for the duration.

If I remember correctly, skyp uses intermediaries all the time in order
to traverse nat and firewalls.

You get both type of addresses for a computer? How know applications
which one to use?

Are you referring to the 2 address types I mentioned? If so, apps, such
as browsers, will only use the random number address. The MAC based
address is used only when you want to make a computer publicly available
to others and advertise it via DNS.

And /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/use_tempaddr says which to use.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)