Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 2016-05-26 16:37, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-05-26 14:26, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

But a rogue web server would know the address and run an attack on
it. Also, we can find the IP on mails.

What is a "rogue webserver" ?

A web server belonging to "bad guys", or hacked by them, that runs
code using the found IPs to attack them.

Ah I see. Well, same answer as before, IPv6 privacy extensions.

I need an IPv6 for dummies book. :-)

As for finding addresses in mails, they
are typically random. By default in openSUSE. See "IPv6 privacy
extensions".

But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a fixed
address, non private, because you do want to do things needing being
accessible.

No, you don't need a fixed address for a VoIP client. With ISDN being
phased out by the end of next year, Swisscom will be switching everyone
to VoIP. None of those will need a fixed IP, v4 or v6. Deutsche
Telekom will be doing the same by the end of 2018.

Well, I have that. Silently.

When I switched to fibre, I was switched to VoIp, but I wasn't told. I
simply get a "thing" with a phone connector, to which is connected the
house phone wiring, unchanged.

In fact, people are using VoIp phones and computers by reverse
engineering the connection data, because the company hides it.

Which reminds me that I want to try it. I might route the connection to
a computer that would do call filtering/screening. :-))

Only if you want to run a server will you need fixed addresses, just
like now.

You need an intermediary where you register on each IP change so that
others can phone you.

You get both type of addresses for a computer? How know applications
which one to use?

/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/use_tempaddr

0 = privacy extensions disabled.
1 = privacy extensions enabled, but not preferred.
2 = privacy extensions enabled, preferred.

It is zero here.
I see...

A network interface will have

a) link local address - fe80:<mac-addr based>
b) a temporary address (assuming tempaddr!=0) = 2001:db8::random
c) an address handed out by dhcp = your:pref::pooladdr
d) a fixed address based on mac-addr = your:pref::macaddr-based.

I have a mac based address (don't know if 'a' or 'd'... correction, I
know, it is 'a') and a fixed address I created, local if I remember
correctly:

inet6 addr: fe80::221:85ff:fe16:2d0b/64 Scope:Link
inet6 addr: fc00::14/64 Scope:Global

Type 'b', it is always "2001:db8..."?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)