Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 2016-05-26 19:20, James Knott wrote:
On 05/26/2016 09:17 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Also, as I mentioned in another note, privacy addresses are
usually used. These addresses have a fairly short lifetime, so are
useless long term for attacks.
Well, that's good.

How does that work? The router hands them, or the computer autoassigns them?

The computer or other device generates a 64 bit random number to be used
as the host portion of the address. When your computer is on for a
while, you'll see a list of previously used addresses, which are still
valid, but eventually those addresses will fall off the end of the
list. Only the newest one is used for outgoing connections.

Where do you see them, in ifconfig, ip addr?

Let me see, I have:

inet6 addr: fe80::221:85ff:fe16:2d0b/64 Scope:Link
inet6 addr: fc00::14/64 Scope:Global

The second one I recognize as having created it myself, manually. And
the first one is constructed from the MAC. Maybe the address you mean is
only generated when the router hands over a prefix? (which it doesn't,
as I don't have IPv6)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)