Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 05/26/2016 09:35 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/26/2016 09:20 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a fixed
address, non private, because you do want to do things needing being
accessible.
That is not the case from the end user's POV.
I have a NAT and Vop "router" behind it.
Whether I was using a NAT or not the ATA box needs to have the address
of the ISP. How the ISP implement things, load balancing or otherwise,
is their decision. My setup is going to be the same, NAT or not, IPv4
or IPv6.

Actually, with NAT, you have to use an STUN server to communicate the
real address to the other end. Otherwise, it would try to use the NAT
address, which wouldn't be reachable. This is just one example of a
hack made necessary by NAT.