Re: [opensuse] ipv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 14:09:23 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 05/26/2016 02:24 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

On 05/25/2016 09:26 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
But unless and until all the agencies I deal with ALSO handle IPv6,
the
"why bother?" So long as they deal with IPv4 I end up using IPv4.

"Dual stack"?
Perhaps.

No doubt this is where James comes in to tell of his experience in
the area, and I rather hear about that than him telling us all that
NAT is evil.
I have a browser add-on called "ShowIP", which displays the IP
address
of the site I'm connected to. I see IPv6 more & more often, as more
sites move to it. Of course the big improvement for users is the
ability to directly access a computer behind the firewall, without
messing with port forwarding.
A big improvement that 99% of users won't need nor know about :-)

In the last 30 days, for IPv6 sites, I see almost exclusively bigger
companies with a large public audience - yahoo, google, youtube, the
EU, SBB, Porsche, academic/universities, linkedin, eurovisino,
facebork
etcetera. For local sites, only these:

Many of those have had it for years. Strangely, the openSUSE had
IPv6, but dropped when there was a web site change a while ago.

We still use it on e.g. api.opensuse.org and download.opensuse.org, but
the latter is a mess. https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/6176

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.4°C)