Re: [opensuse] nut... uh, NATters
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 13:26:19 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 05/25/2016 02:29 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Please don't confuse private addresses with NAT. The idea of
private
addresses existed long before NAT. A private address is just that,
it
doesn't connect to anything. NAT then took advantage of those
address
blocks. Private addresses are not the problem (there are some with
IPv6 too), NAT is.
RFC1918 is dated 1996, and obsoletes 1597 from 1994. NAT was
discussed at least as far back as 1992. (RFC1380, section 2.2.3,
paragraph 3).

I recall talk about using IP on amateur radio in the early 90s. IIRC,
they were saying to use the 10. block as that was assigned to the U.S.
military and not connected to the Internet and so was safe to use.

I was not much active (as a radio amateur) at that time, but I guess
this isn't about packet radio then? (that would be AX.25).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.8°C)
I guess my callsign might still be reserved OZ1HZV.