[opensuse] Re: [open off list suse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 05/23/2016 04:24 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/23/2016 03:09 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 05/23/2016 02:34 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
# traceroute www.microsoft.com
traceroute to www.microsoft.com (72.246.108.157), 30 hops max, 60 byte
packets
... CPE00146c049fe7-CM00195ee35528.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
(99.225.198.63) 25.968 ms 26.520 ms 27.070 ms

That is the DHCP assigned address that my ISP hands out to my NAT firewall.
Since you're on Rogers, you should have IPv6 available, though you might
have to change your modem. I did that and my bill dropped by about
$50/month!
How come? What were you on before/after?

On Rogers. I enquired about my Cisco modem supporting IPv6. It didn't
on Rogers so I had to get a Hitron modem. As a result of getting a new
modem, my costs went down by about $50 due to the package that the modem
was part of. I also moved from a 99. address to a 172.112

Sidebar: Rogers actually have a /23 but the /11 seems to be for Toronto
customers. James, what address has Rogers given you?
IPv4 or IPv6? I have a single public IPv4 address with a /23 subnet
mask and a /64 prefix on IPv6.
IPv4; I seem to be on a /11 out of that /23 here in Don Mills

I've been getting lots of petty hassle with Rogers recently; to be
honest, with so many people sending html-enhanced email, enhanced
websites with JavaScript and big graphics that the browser has to render
down, volume has crept up to a point where its no longer feasible to
keep doing daily 'zypper up' and downloading ISO and the occasional
movie without getting into their punitive over-run charges.

To say nothing of the rates creeping up and up with service quality
actually going down.

And ****! To think that I used to work for them!

My condo does have a contract with them for TV, but despite the number
of internet users in the building/complex who are also Rogers Internet
users, the board is unwilling to discuss extending the contract to
include Internet. And heck, our condo fees are high enough as it is!

Quite a few of my neighbours have moved to Teck-Savvy or one of the
other 3rd party ISPs. They offer the same terms as each of the Rogers
rate for about 50% of Roger's price. Quite a few also say that between
2am and 8am you can do bulk download without it affecting your usage.
And heck, I can do an "at ... wget.." as well as the next guy!

I've put US$60 towards a new Thomson DCW775. That can handle IPv6.
I'll have to check to see if my tablet and phone can deal with that as well.

I don't know if Rogers will even allow it, though Tex-savvy may.
All my Android devices as well as my iPhone 6 (work) do.

I'm in no hurry to move to IPv6. I have other higher priority issues.