Re: [opensuse] alsamixer offers only S/PDIF pair instead of full suite for HDMI device/output
Takashi Iwai composed on 2016-05-18 10:12 (UTC+0200):

On Wed, 18 May 2016 10:08:59 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

Felix Miata wrote:

> # cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [Generic ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
> HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb60000 irq 16
> 1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
> HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfeb64000 irq 41

> # aplay -vv -Dplughw:0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
> (produces sound through analog pin jack)

> # aplay -vv -Dplughw:1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
> aplay: main:722: audio open error: No such file or directory

% aplay -vv -Dhdmi:1 foo.wav

plughw implies the device index 0 which is assigned for the analog I/O
for HD-audio. HDMI/DP has a different dedicated index number.

Oh, BTW, if there are multiple HDMI/DP ports exposed by the hardware
(likely yes), you need to figure out which port your monitor is
connected to. For port 0, 1, 2, you can open like:
aplay -vv -Dhdmi:1,0 foo.wav
aplay -vv -Dhdmi:1,1 foo.wav
aplay -vv -Dhdmi:1,2 foo.wav

Good to know. Thanks! Using 0,0 succeeds, but I don't see a connection between proving HDMI sound works with aplay, and actually getting system sounds and apps to recognize and use HDMI instead of pin jack. 'options snd index=1,0' swaps the device order, but otherwise changes nothing I can detect.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/