Re: [opensuse] Adding disks to a software RAID array
On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2016-05-17 08:34, Bob Williams wrote:
I am in the process of setting up my system partition on an SSD drive.
Working towards this I have bought a second (rotating) hard drive which
will form the basis of a RAID1 array for /home.

I have managed to create an encrypted RAID1 array comprising a single
drive, onto which I have copied /home.

Previously:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 /home

Now:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 not mounted (contains old /home)
/dev/sdb1 -> /dev/md0 /home

sda is the SSD, and sdb the rotating rust?

When I have re-installed Leap 42.1 onto the SSD, I want to reformat the
whole of sda and add it to the md0 array, but I'm not sure of the
sequence of steps.

Don't. You can not make an array with such dissimilar media. You need
two rotating disks.

Well you can, but with md/mdadm you'd want the HDD created with
--write-mostly. This is explicitly intended to be used with slow
devices like over a network for one of the block devices.

--
Chris Murphy