Re: [opensuse] Adding disks to a software RAID array
On 17/05/16 11:57, Dave Howorth wrote:
On 2016-05-17 11:35, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-05-17 08:34, Bob Williams wrote:
I am in the process of setting up my system partition on an SSD drive.
Working towards this I have bought a second (rotating) hard drive
which
will form the basis of a RAID1 array for /home.

I have managed to create an encrypted RAID1 array comprising a single
drive, onto which I have copied /home.

Previously:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 /home

Now:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 not mounted (contains old /home)
/dev/sdb1 -> /dev/md0 /home

sda is the SSD, and sdb the rotating rust?

No, sda and sdb are both 3TB rotating rust. The SSD has not been
installed yet, but when it is, I want to use the existing sda to join
the md0 array.

Why don't you create the raid now, as you have the two rotating disks
already installed? I don't understand.

Because he's intending to use the whole of the disks for the RAID for
/home but the older disk still has his root filesystem on it.

Correct

Personally, I would probably keep the root filesystem on both disks, as
a backup to the SSD that can be be booted if ever necessary, and make
the /home RAID in the sd*2 partitions on both disks.

Good idea.

--
Bob Williams
System: Linux 4.1.20-11-default