Re: [opensuse] Adding disks to a software RAID array
On 17/05/16 10:46, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-05-17 08:34, Bob Williams wrote:
I am in the process of setting up my system partition on an SSD drive.
Working towards this I have bought a second (rotating) hard drive which
will form the basis of a RAID1 array for /home.

I have managed to create an encrypted RAID1 array comprising a single
drive, onto which I have copied /home.

Previously:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 /home

Now:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 not mounted (contains old /home)
/dev/sdb1 -> /dev/md0 /home

sda is the SSD, and sdb the rotating rust?

No, sda and sdb are both 3TB rotating rust. The SSD has not been
installed yet, but when it is, I want to use the existing sda to join
the md0 array.

When I have re-installed Leap 42.1 onto the SSD, I want to reformat the
whole of sda and add it to the md0 array, but I'm not sure of the
sequence of steps.

Don't. You can not make an array with such dissimilar media. You need
two rotating disks.

See my comment above

--
Bob Williams