[opensuse] Adding disks to a software RAID array
I am in the process of setting up my system partition on an SSD drive.
Working towards this I have bought a second (rotating) hard drive which
will form the basis of a RAID1 array for /home.

I have managed to create an encrypted RAID1 array comprising a single
drive, onto which I have copied /home.

Previously:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 /home

Now:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 not mounted (contains old /home)
/dev/sdb1 -> /dev/md0 /home

When I have re-installed Leap 42.1 onto the SSD, I want to reformat the
whole of sda and add it to the md0 array, but I'm not sure of the
sequence of steps.
Do I just repartition it in YaST to create a new sda1 using the whole
disk? If so, which filesystem type should I choose (Linux native, Linux
RAID?).
Do I format it before adding it to the array (the partition already in
the array is formatted as ext4)?
Do I have to set up encryption on the new partition, or will this happen
automatically when it joins md0?
md0 was created using --force as there was initially only one device.
Can I add the next device using mdadm --grow --add?

Many thanks,

Bob
--
Bob Williams