Re: [opensuse] System is booting up. See pam_nologin(8)
Normally it should be removed by systemd-user-sessions.service on
bootup. If you remove this file and reboot - does it appear again?

Hmm.
Why did I think that this was supposed to be in /etc rather than /run ??

Hmm, Per, ancestrally (that is 13.{1,2}), /run is tmpfs so that it is
created anew on boot and initially unpopulated until services start
doing things like putting their PIDs in it.

I was under the impression that the shutdown created nologin and the
boot process cleared it.

Tell me, is "pam_nologin.o" the first line of /etc/pam.d/login ?