Re: [opensuse] OT: spreadsheet format
On 05/11/2016 07:13 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
I have some 'spreadsheet' files that I want to read on Leap. They are
produced by a logging device
(a Rotronic CL11) plugged into the manufacturer's app on Win10 and have names
that end in .XLS but
they are text files in a kind of mixed ini-file and TSV (tab-separated
values) format. They start
off with ini file sections describing each of the columns of data (humidity,
CO2, temp) and then
there's a section with a TSV list of all the logged data values.

Does anybody recognize this format and/or have any ideas of applications that
can read or import it?
I tried feeding it to libreoffice calc but it opened them as text files.

Failing any suitable app, I guess I'll write a program to convert it to pure
CSV or something.

Cheers, Dave

I have similar non-standard CSV files where the producer used TABS instead of
Commas.
I routinely open them with LibreOffice Calc. (Start in CALC, not from the
linux file manager).
It asks what characters should be used as separators, and shows a spread sheet
sample reprsentation
so that you can check it out.

There are command line ways to tell it this ahead of time if you need that.