Re: [opensuse] OT: spreadsheet format
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 10:43:23 -0400
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Dave Howorth
<dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have some 'spreadsheet' files that I want to read on Leap. They are
produced by a logging device (a Rotronic CL11) plugged into the
manufacturer's app on Win10 and have names that end in .XLS but they are
text files in a kind of mixed ini-file and TSV (tab-separated values)
format. They start off with ini file sections describing each of the columns
of data (humidity, CO2, temp) and then there's a section with a TSV list of
all the logged data values.

Does anybody recognize this format and/or have any ideas of applications
that can read or import it? I tried feeding it to libreoffice calc but it
opened them as text files.

Failing any suitable app, I guess I'll write a program to convert it to pure
CSV or something.

You could probably write an AWK script in 5 minutes to strip off the header.

If you want to get more exotic, python-xlswriter is in OBS and factory
(not Leap 42.1):

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:languages:python/python-xlsxwriter

I think there is a perl equivalent as well.

Greg