Re: [opensuse] Off Topic: Wired PC's Behind Client Bridge Can't Ping Each Other
On 05/10/2016 08:58 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-05-10 14:16, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/09/2016 02:13 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But in this case, the 4 mouths on that thing (client bridge) are not
acting as switch. They are all "routing", isolated from one another. I
had no idea this could be possible.

With software, anything is possible.

Absolutely. But I thought that the switches ran in hardware for speed.

LOL!
Cisco, Wellfleet and others and others have built their businesses on
making the switches software controllable and "feature rich".

The router, sdm says, is running DD-WRT. If that's not a few steps
above the idiot simple software shipped on home-grade routers I don't
know what is! {Thinks: I need to flash my own router with that someday}

I did, on one of mine. An ADSL router provided by an ISP. I repurposed
it as a new wifi access point. Good news: it works, and I hear no
complains. Bad news: it was hell setting it up.

That's the problem with anything 'feature rich'.
The only reason so many of us can deal with something as 'fasture rich'
as Linux, KDE, Gnome and more is that we
* compartmentalise
* Linux is about patterns rather than 'sui generis'
* have been doing it a long time

The web configuration part crashed often, apparently for lack of memory.

Well, yes there is that.
Upgrading memory in a router is not as easy as in a PC or laptop :-(
Even those of us with a steady hand when wielding the soldering iron my
be stymied by the circuit design being limited.

Thus I hesitate to try another device that I use for similar purpose
(AP), but with the original buggy firmware.

If I had the time and inclination ... well I keep seeing old WRT54
devices at thrift stores now that the newer, faster more integrated
cable models from ISPs for home users offer wifi connectivity as well
and the separate wifi router is made redundant. At under C$5, often
under C$2.50, that is low risk. Its just, as you point out, the time ...